Sunday, September 21, 2008

college friends

i have been very spoiled and blessed. i have grown up with amazing friends, friends who to this day i know i will remain friends with forever. i am grateful for that and i am grateful that my blessing of great friendships carried with me as i left for college. i can still remember fall 2004 as i was getting ready to leave for college that winter of 2005. i was so nervous to meet my roommates. i can STILL remember that very first weekend i spent in Rexburg by myself in davenport #10 where i awaited for my roommates to show up. the first one that came was my room roommate, Shawnette. we had very little in common but became instant friends. the other girls came and they had already all known each other from living together in the fall. oh man were they intimidating. for awhile they didn't really like me, but finally i started acting my crazy self and they started to like me. little did i know i would make great great friends that semester. a few of them i lived with for a few semesters later on. when going back in 2006 i already knew a few of my roommates so i was so excited. 2007 it all changed, i was going to have all knew roommates so once again i was nervous. real nervous. BUT like always it turned out that amazing roommates were awaiting me. they were much different than the roommates i had before but i grew to love them too. winter 2008 came and a few of those same girls i lived with would be my roommates again.(of course every year i come back i get new roommates as well as old ones and in the summer i get new ones too) along the way i meet many other people that have become some of my favorite people. i have learned sooooo much from the people i have meet at byu idaho. i can look back on my goofy, serious and those sincere times with my friends and know that i have been blessed. of course there have been roommates along the way who i was friends with but had problems with, but still, each and everyone of them i have loved and learned from.

2006

Savanna and i one freezing night, my fhe group went ice skating while i watched, i was sick and i don't ice skate. i love love savanna. she was a roommate from my very first semester. we are sooo much a like yet so different. we were so goofy together, probably the person i was most silly with and i love that. i was able to be her roommate for 3 semesters and then later she graduated, luckily when i go back to school this winter she will be nearby. i have missed her.
Julene entered my college life in winter 2006, but didn't become roommates till summer 2006. don't we look like babies here? okay im actually confused by when this picture was taken because i don't know why we hung out in winter 2006....hmm julene maybe you can help me with that?
oh man this was our crew in 2006(ps i couldnt find any pictures from 2005) we all hung out a lot. this was at the boy in the middle's mission farewell dinner and now he is back, so crazy.

kevin, was in my ward winter 2006 and we became friends randomly. he started coming over with his guitar and would play for us. i was a fan of that. then a few times he would drop by for a dance party or two then after that we became friends. he then would come over for a lot of jello. later in summer of 06 he went on his mission to Florida where we wrote to each other.

Hyrum, brother to savanna. this kid is hilarious. like seriously. probably the funniest boy i know. this was winter 2006(but i met him summer 2005) we were good friends as you can tell from this picture we had a lot of fun together. he just came back from his mission too and i will be seeing him this coming winter!
"P" that is what he was known as in our ward. but he introduced himself as jacob michael shwab. he was so great, probably the next time i see him will be watching him talk at conference.
Wes, we had 2 classes together that summer. we had a lot of fun together and we have remained friends since then. this is probably the only picture of us actually doing homework, wes would bring is camera to class and we would literally just take pictures and goof off in class, but dont worry we still got a good grade. i have really appreciated his friendship.
Cisily, oh man. i have actually known her since 2005 when our apartments visit taught each others and then in summer 2005 she moved into my apt. in the past our friendship as been a little rocky, but we have always cared enough to fix it. i am so grateful for that because i have really come to love this girl. she is THE funniest girl i know. hands down. she is one of those people i can tell her anything and trust her completely.
again more friends and roommates from 2006, a few i don't really talk to anymore, but i will never forget them or the impact they had on my life.
2007

Heather, oh man. she was my room roommate winter 2007. my first memory of her was actually of me hiding her clock in our closet one night while it was ticking. she wasn't back from being home from the holidays. then when she came back i remember thinking who is this quite girl. at first we didn't really know what to do about each other. i thought she was quite and shy and she thought i was stuck up(i think thats what she said...what was it heather?). BUT we both learned that we were both wrong and i don't remember what it was but we started become really good friends. heather is so easy going and so caring and i could tell her anything. then in 2008 we were roommates again. i am so lucky for that.

Josh, who i actually met in summer 2005. we were just sorta friends for a while, he was friends of friends, but then we had a class together and he started needing lady advice and we ended up becoming better friends.
Jessica, oh man i love this girl. probably the person who is most opposite than me(besides being goofy...but we are even goofy in different ways). she is so good, she is so sweet and i have never met another girl with as big of a heart as she does. we were roommates 2008 as well but she became engaged that semester and sadly didn't see her as much as i wanted. i did take her engagement photos.
back to Julene, in 2007 we were neighbors. there was little time that we weren't together. we were even pirates together.
friends and roommates summer of 2007. about half i don't stay in contact with, but i learned a lot from them and had a great time with them.
Brent aka handsome. i met him 2007 on a sunday when him and a couple of his roommates were going around to girls apts to meet them. they stayed at ours the longest. that first day we met i asked him his last name and i thought he said handsome, but it was Hanson. so that year i called him handsome. everyday. we became really good friends, and drove too and from school with each other and hung out in seattle too(he is from olympia). he is a favorite. i could tell him anything and say whatever i wanted to him because he did the same, oh and he would paint my finger nails for me...and he liked it. here we are at this great pirate seafood fastfood place. haha.

2008

on the left is Julie. i met her actually in 2006 when she was my roommate. she was the older sister relationship and i love that about her. i love this girl. she was a neighbor in 2007 and 2008, but now is graduated.
Chelsea, i have already talked about jessica and heather in this picture, but on the far left is chelsea. oh chelsea. another person who is very different from me, BUT oh how i like her. she is a talker. i miss the days when i was in my room, and she would come in my room and talk to me. i was always excited when chelsea came home. and seriously, she said SUCH funny things. oh my heck.
on the left is Elizabeth who i was roommates with in summer 2007 and winter 2008. again very different from me, but i am grateful for her friendship. she didn't open up too much or talk too much but i loved when she did. my favorite thing about her is her voice. not only because she has a columbian accent, but her voice is so soothing. one night i was joking and asked her to read my text book out loud to me and she said okay! but her voice was too soothing and i had to have her stop because i was beginning to fall asleep.
the silliest times were spent inside the forts we made....just an example of my many good times.
Charity, oh boy this girl. she was my neighbor in winter and summer of 2008. at first i was very nervous around her, maybe it not nervous just i felt intimidated by her. i couldn't get into her groove yet. does that make sense? it took me a while. BUT something happened and i became so natural with her and we became good friends. we have a lot in common and i am sooo grateful for her. i cannot wait to see her again when i go back to school.
Kristen, is a friend from class. i first met her winter 2007 she was in my beginning photography class and i thought she was so cool and funny and then we began talking and i remember i was excited about that. then he have had a few classes since. mostly we just goof off. hah. we are a great photography team. she is the technical and i am the creative. i learned from her and her, me.
Janel, is julene's sister. she i met her in 2006, but this summer in 2008 she became manager at our apt and so she lived next door with her little family. she was a great person and friend to have around. i took photos of their family and their adorable, seriously, baby henrik.
Henrik. i. love. this. baby. he is the cutest little boy and i was lucky enough to see or hold him almost everyday. we were friends, and i can't wait to see him as he gets older.
i don't know if it's because you get older or if it's something you do in college or just something you do when i am with cisily, charity and randall. causing mischief. this night we were up to no good. ahah after our atempt to catch a tennis ball on fire by shoving a lot of matches inside it we just made a ring of fire instead. this is them right after the ring went out...i was too slow with the camera.
Mandy, i met her in 2006, she was in my ward/complex and then winter 2008 i had a class with her. i have always thought she was soo cool and i always wanted to be her friend. luckily this last winter we were able to become better friends. she is just so nice and cute!
summer 2008 was very very interesting. it was a crazy semester already for me with school being very hard, juggling a job and balancing friends. but the pictures following are the people i spent my last month or so of the summer with. its like we were a family.
my summer family. on the 4th of july up in the mountains having a picnic
these boys. i can't even begin to explain. i will always be friends with them.
more of my summer family...as asians.
Julene. okay now, this is where i talk about julene...im sure she has felt left out thinking i wouldn't talk about her. like i said before i have known her since 2006. we are so very much alike, same major even. i have so much fun with her, she likes to have fun as much as i do...well maybe i do more. julene is so funny. i laugh everyday with her, and i have told her 2 things often. 1. that i should cary around a notepad when i am with her so i can write down what she says 2. she should write for Hallmark. ahhah. sometimes julene is a debbie downer BUT mostly she encourages me and others to have a good attitude. i love being with julene and appreciate our friendship and the person she is.
Taylor. i met him winter 2008, but we didn't actually become hang out friends or real friends till the summer. taylor is suuuch a good friend and suuuch a good person. he would do anything for me and i can always count on him for anything. he has taught me so much and through him i have learned a lot about myself. taylor and i are the same major as well and we have so many of the same interests. when we first meet in winter that is all we did, talk about art and graphic design. i am grateful for the friendship that has grown between us.
Jordan, oh jordan. i met jordan thru taylor. i still remember the very second i meet jordan. i invited taylor to a concert with me and my friends and taylor invited some of his friends too. the first thing i thought of when i meet jordan was "who is this kid" and "elijah wood" so since then bff. i have never meet someone so like me, but so unlike me. he has taught me a lot about friendship and has taught me patience. he makes me laugh and makes me annoyed. he teaches me to be better.
Brittany, i met brittany through jordan. the first night i meet her i thought okay this is a fun, down to earth girl. we started becoming better friends and became someone i began to look to and notice the amazing person she was and who she would become. one of the most carrying people i know and we have had such a good time together. we only had a little over a month with one another, but that time was well spent. luckily, i will be seeing her this coming winter.

Colton, the last, literally, last friend i made at school. the night before i left. i don't know what it is about some people, but sometimes it takes me a while to be friends with someone and sometimes it takes 10 minutes. colton is the brother of my sisters friend jared. jared asked me to show colton around since it was going to be his first weekend in rexburg. i said sure(good thing) instead colton just came and hung out with me and a few of my friends. first thing we did was go eat at Baijos. even before we got to Baijos we were bff. then the rest of the night was spent at the sand dunes where we decided to be bff for reals....i am so sad that i was leaving when he was coming. oh colton.
i have met AMAZING people at school. from teachers i have befriended, to bishop members, relief society advisors, to classmates and to neighbors and roommates. i have just been thinking a lot lately how lucky i am for the experiences i have had away in little, cold Rexburg. i am so grateful for these people for help making a home away from home.

8 comments:

stephanie said...

seriously, you have nothing better to do w/ your time? :)

monica said...

well that was rude steph. its been on my mind to write about my friends. my friends are important to me. so i wrote about them. and 5 years down the road i will be glad i did. and no i dont have anything better to do. i have no friends here. but thanks.

kaitlin said...

monica this was such a cute post!
seriously how long did that take you, it was long!
um now if only i was one of those roommates...seriously how much fun would we have being roommates? that would be alot.

Taylor said...

Wow Monica! This is one impressive post. It must have taken forever, but seriously, its going to be so worth it when you look back. I've really been so lucky in meeting the people I have met as well. Our little summer family was perfect. Yeah. I miss us.

And thank you for the words you wrote about me. That really does mean a lot to me. I have learned so much about myself from you as well.

Anonymous said...

Oh Monica... Your bolg is amazing! I am totally Jealous. I'm trying to get one up and running for me but I get confused... lol You are going to have to help me this Winter! :)

HeatherPippin said...

All I have to say about this post is how amazing it is, and how many memories it brings back....I loved being your roommate, and yes, I did think that you were weird,had the cutest stuff, but too cool for me to be friends with:) and yes, you did make fun of me, in your head at first, about the music that I listened to, but you rubbed off on me:)So many great memories in all of these pictures....

Mrs. James Quigley said...

Good work! I like it, I am so glad that you had such good friends at school. It makes all of the difference.

The Hulbert Family said...

This was a fun post. Yes you will be glad later that you did this so you can remember everyone.

FYI - We love ya too!